You just want to chat with your friends about Snapchat, but the app crashes suddenly? Here are several causes may play a role - we give you tips for troubleshooting.
This is how you end and restart the Snapchat app
Most problems with the app should be resolved by a simple reboot. But before you hit it, you should first exit Snapchat properly. There are various possiblities for that:
- Android: Open the overview of all open apps on your smartphone by tapping the multitasking button at the bottom of the screen or swiping up from the bottom of the screen. Then tap on "Close all" to close all applications running in the background. Alternatively, you can switch to the settings app, search under "Apps" for Snapchat, select the entry and tap on "Force Stop".
- iOS: On the iPhone X and younger, you can go up from the bottom of the home screen - to the middle of the screen to open the app overview. For the iPhone 8 and older you press twice in succession on the home button. Then, in the app overview, swipe up the Snapchat entry to completely quit the application.
Video: Youtube / Apple Germany
Reboote your smartphone
Did the restart of the Snapchat app not solve the difficulty: Restart the Android or iOS smartphone. Under Android, you press longer on the power button and tap on "Restart". On iOS, on the other hand, you can press the side and volume keys to switch off the device. It can then be switched on again via the side key.
Make more storage space
Another reason why Snapchat crashes may be lack of space. To check how much memory is left on your smartphone:
- Android: Open the Android Settings and tap on "Device Maintenance". Under "Memory" you can see how much memory is still unused. Also, tap "Clean Up" to get more space.
- iOS: On the iPhone there is an overview of memory usage under "Settings | General | iPhone memory ". There are also recommendations for how you can optimize the memory - for example, by the outsourcing of apps.
Even so you can solve the memory problem: Uninstall all apps from the phone that you no longer need. Transfer media to PC or Mac to free up more memory. On Android, clear the Snapchat app's cache ("Settings | Apps | Snapchat | Clear Cache |"). On iOS, this is not possible for individual applications because the operating system automatically initiates this as soon as storage space is needed.
Reinstall the Snapchat app
Did not help the previous actions: Uninstall Snapchat from your smartphone. Then, open the Google Play Store or App Store and download the application again. In most cases, the software runs without problems after a new installation.
Wait for the next app update
Apps such as Snapchat regularly roll out updates that not only improve the software's performance, but also fix known bugs. Wait for the next update to Snapchat and see if the app will work again afterwards.
Otherwise, you can contact Snapchat support directly via this form and describe the problem.
Reset your iOS or Android smartphone
Crashes Snapchat: Reset your smartphone. For this, depending on the operating system, a certain procedure is needed. Before you do this, you should definitely create a backup of your data. When resetting, all data is deleted from the device, so you have to set it up completely.
How a Factory Reset on Android works , we have already revealed to you on our blog. The recovery of an iPhone you start with the help of iTunes. Connect the device to your computer, then select it in iTunes and click "Restore iPhone" in the overview.
Possible actions when the Snapchat app crashes
- Quit and restart the Snapchat app.
- Reboote your mobile.
- Make sure you have enough free space on your smartphone.
- If necessary, re-install the Snapchat app.
- Wait for the next update to the application and download it.
- Reset your phone - but only after you've backed up your data.